Sunday, October 3, 2010

Carmona and Cadiz (otra vez)

Greetings from a very grey Sevilla.  Unfortunately, the weather today is rather ugly but it has been a gorgeous weekend otherwise. 

Thursday I had class in the centro until 6:35 and then cine club at 9:00, in the centro as well.  It is a bit of a walk, so instead of going back to mi piso, I just bummed around the centro checking out shops etc.  I ran into my friend Makaela, from Oregon, and we explored *cough were lost cough* for a while, before running into our friend Luis, from NYC.  The three of us went out to tapas…yummmm…and indulged in a grand pitcher of rather potent sangria.  After, we went to cine club where we inhaled popcorn while watching a movie about a father/son relationship in which the father was gay.  The movie finished at the early hour of 11:00 PM, so the three of us went to Plaza San Salvador.  We met a crewmember from U2 (they had a concert here the other day) and also spoke with lots of Spaniards.  Favorite moment: being told by a Spaniard that I am “too white” and really should get some more sun.
After Plaza San Salvador, we meandered the streets until stumbling into--not literally, we never drink excessively, Mom--the Torre del Oro.  We found a group of our American friends who were “botellon-ing” and hung out with them for a while.  I grabbed a Sevici and headed home.  Upon my arrived home I skyped Matthew, as it was his birthday, but didn’t really get to talk much as everyone here was asleep.  I am confident tha just gracing him with my presence (via the internet) was wonderful enough! Jaja

The Torre
Friday I explored Carmona with my group. It is a suburb of Sevilla situated on high ground. It had some gorgeous views. I got home in time for lunch, then worked on some homework, had dinner, and went out. There is a festival of nations currently going on it Sevilla, so I went to that. I indulged, and bought a pair of 7.50 euro pants! They are “genie” pants and I am obsessed with them!! So so so comfy. I asked mi madre aqui, if she wanted a pair too (Marga, mi hermana, has a pair) but I was answered with laughter (Jane!! I am almost 60! I couldn’t wear those!); I told her all about my Grammy who wears toe rings! Still wasn’t able to convince her…

Carmona

Saturday I went to Cadiz with my program.  We checked out the city, something I didn’t do on my first excursion there.  The top of the Cathedral has AMAZING vistas.  I also learned that “Die Another Day” with Pierce Brosnon (007) and Halle Berry, was larely filmed in Cadiz.  Although it was set in La Habana (Havana, Cuba), the filming actually took place in Cadiz.  Check out this link; it is the beach I went to Saturday: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ml75GSIY8mw&feature=related

Cadiz
Surrounded by the ocean and gorgeous view...360 degrees!

Saturday night I retuned home for a siesta and dinner.  After dinner, looking even more chulo (cool) than usual thanks to the assistance of my new genie pants, I went back to the festival of nations.  My American friend, Jamie, and I met up with a group of about six Spanish friends.  I really prefer going out with Spaniards to get more practice speaking and listening.  We found a neat little bar/restaurant and sat outside chatting.  I had a super interesting conversation with a girl, studying education here, who isn’t a Francista, but definitely prefers communism to democracy.  She hopes that there will soon be a revolution in Spain.  I headed home around 2 AM, in need of some sleep.

The pants!!!

Spanish friends!


This morning I woke up and helped Senora prepare some of our meals for this week.  Yummmm…ajo and aceite de oliva in everything!

I have yet to meet Rita, the girl from Africa, renting a room in our piso.  My senora is quite worried about her.  She never came home last night, never eats and is very very thin, and in general, is a bit mysterious.  Senora called her to make sure she is okay, but no response yet.  I feel badly, as she is incredibly worried and feels a bit responsible for Rita.

All I have on the docket for today is homework.  I wanted to go for a walk or bike ride, but it is supposed to start raining very soon--bummer.

Like always, besos from Spain!




3 comments:

  1. Click on pictures to see full scale images!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pants! Glad you're having fun, and thanks for all the details! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jane....Hope you are having a blast with the family and showing them what a wonderful vacation you are on!!!!!! Love to read and keep up with your journey. Love ya, Aunt Lori

    ReplyDelete