Wednesday, December 8, 2010

The Natilla

My roommates, Irene (from Malaga, Spain) and Ghita (from Tangier, Morocco) love the photo-settings on my webcam.  Ghita was about to go out for the night and was in the midst of styling her hair.  Squinty eyes suite me well (or NOT!).   


When my family was in Seville we went to a great restaurant, La Isla.  I ordered a custard for dessert and my dad ordered a flan-like dessert.  Unfortunately (for me), the waiter accidentally gave me my dad's dessert and my dad my dessert.  However, while they are very similar looking, the custard is much much much more delicious.  So, after our first bites, we realized that we had the wrong desserts.  But, after my dad tasted the dessert he actually ordered he decided that I (like always) made the better choice, and he refused to give me my real dessert..."Jane, you can come back anytime and order this!"  (It was REALLLY an amazing dessert).

*Feel free to call child protective services.  It was seriously abusive to keep me from that custard.

So, being in my final days in Sevilla, I returned to La Isla tonight to get my natilla.  AND eat it too.

I walk in.  Waiter hands me a menu (English version--the blue eyes are a give away), and insists on speaking in (a poor version of) English with me.  I order, "the custard please."  He tells me "okay, just one moment."  I hear him in the background talking, and I think I hear him say "flan."  Oh no! Did he misunderstand me!??  No, no, I assure myself, I clearly said the custard, not the other option.  He returns with the dessert.  SHOOT!  Is this the flan or the custard...they look alike and I really cannot remember!  I ask him (in English and Spanish!) Is this the custard dessert?  I want the natilla!  He responds (again, wanting only to speak English)  "yes, yes, the one you ordered!"

I bite into it.  Mission failed.  Again, I am eating the flan-like dessert.  Apparently, the universe does not want me to eat that custard.  I will be back be heading back soon to get that dessert.  I just might order a second and third too, to make up for these past two times!  

3 comments:

  1. Too bad! As long as you HAVE to go back,I think you should get dinner. Good luck.....usually the third time is a charm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Try my Cuban friend Marta's natilla when you get home: http://www.babalublog.com/archives/005340.html

    2. Bless your heart - how did you make bad brownies? I didn't think that was possible. The Peace Corps nurse in Chile told me that female Peace Corps volunteers almost always gain weight because no matter where they are, they figure out how to make brownies. I say, keep practicing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS I made fish-flavored chocolate chip cookies when I was in Chile. Turns out that the hens are fed fish meal, which is not a problem if they are fed the proper mix of fish meal and other food, but if the balance is off, the eggs taste like fish. Who knew? Not me, with my two-egg cookie recipe. We had to throw them all out. Disgusting.

    ReplyDelete