Monday, November 15, 2010

Plumbing


Honestly, I don’t know anything about plumbing.  My only life experiences with it have been seeing my dad’s pants hang down too low, exposing his ample body.  Anyways, my experiences with plumbing have obviously been unpleasant thus far in my life, and they have now continued in Spain! Although I have a professor whose fashion taste (or lack there of) is close to my dad’s, this is not what I am referring to.  This is what I am referring to…

My roommate occasionally doesn’t flush the toilet.  So on Tuesday when I was about to use it, and opened the covered, and discovered a lovely surprise waiting for me, it really was no surprise at all.  I tried flushing it, but it didn’t work.  My roommate then told me that she had accidentally broken the toilet.  I used the other bathroom and assumed my roommate would tell our Senora.

Fast forward two days later and nothing has changed.  My senora isn’t home (I hadn’t seen her in awhile to tell her), so I decide to try and fix the toilet.  I open the back of it to find it completely jerry-rigged with DENTAL FLOSS!! One of the pieces had broken causing the problems.  In the midst of me trying to fix it, I broke another piece of the dental floss and water started rushing up inside the back of the toilet.  I could only stop it when I held my hand a certain way, but I needed to hold it there permanently, and no one was home to get me more dental floss (or anything!) to fix the toilet with.  I felt like the little Dutch boy.  I decide to let go, run to my room, and grab the first thing I saw.  Hair tie!!  Then I ran back, before the water overflowed, and tied the piece into place (with my hair tie) and fixed the toilet!  Success!

I am very proud to say that I have begun the renovation of Spanish plumbing—updating toilets from dental floss to hair ties.  My next endeavor: introducing belts to men across the entire globe.

5 comments:

  1. I am very impressed with your Yankee ingenuity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've got some projects awaiting you at home. Real plumbers can be very expensive. Glad you're learning more than just Spanish! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jane,

    I laughed out loud reading your most recent post on plumbing. Your self-characterization of being the "...little dutch boy..." was quite good! Loved it. Keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Buenas Dias, Janeio, What a harrowing experience you had in the bathroom!!! But your kept your wits about you and didn't panic (at least not for long!) and got on top of the situation. If your career as a comedy writer doesn't turn out, you can go into plumbing----we will give you an EXCELLENT RECOMMENDATION! LOVE YOU HEAPS AND HEAPS!!! Gma & Gpa

    ReplyDelete
  5. this was so great to read Jane. Plumbing/pipes etc. in Europe is fascinating to say the least!

    ReplyDelete