Monday, November 22, 2010

Barcelona

Barcelona, in Park Guille with Denise

A few pictures of Barcelona: http://picasaweb.google.com/111161978190687820435/Barcelona?authkey=Gv1sRgCKnsj7LLvbvPHw#

Sorry I have been very negligent in posting as of late!  I have been flooded with projects recently (non-plumbing projects, I mean, so I have not LITERALLY been flooded at least...).  Anyways, I was in Barcelona from November 12-14.  However, the adventure began on Friday morning in Seville...

On Friday morning my class had a field trip to a bodega.  I was really excited as it was a wine tasting and I love wine.  But, unbeknownst to me, this wine was not normal wine--the first sip was rather shocking.  The wine was like hard liquor.  I ended up throwing down the glass like a shot--I hate lingering pain, so I thought that this was the best idea.  The Spaniards, who were with my class, all loved the wine.  They were chugging glass after glass.  After the visit, we got back in the bus and had the most interesting ride ever.  The Spaniards were singing, dancing, and chanting at us the whole bus ride back to Sevilla.  (My professor included.)  It was so really quite bizarre, but entertaining none-the-less.  Rowdy rowdy rowdy.

Later in the day I left for Barcelona with two girls from my program, Denise from Carnegie Mellon and Natalie from St. Thomas.  The plane ride is fast--about an hour--and we arrived in the city around 9 PM.  They ate Domino's pizza for dinner, but I abstained.  (It seemed blasphemous, cannot think of the right word-?-to be an American, in Spain, eating Domino's pizza haha...although I do recall my dad practically force-feeding us McDonald's quarter-pounders in Ireland once...)

Natalie and I were still recovering from colds, so we slept a lot during the weekend.  We also spent Saturday and Sunday on red bus rides around the city.  We could hop off and on as we pleased.  We strolled through Las Ramblas, Guille Park, and the Sagrada Familia.  The Sagrada Familia is probably my favorite cathedral.  It is so unique!  Ohh, and we also stopped at Starbuck's where I drank a hot tea, because apparently I find it acceptable to be an American drinking Starbuck's in ANY country...

On Sunday we headed back to Sevilla after a fun and relaxing weekend.

Also, if you are ever overseas during an election, remember to get your ballot early... I sadly messed up on obtaining my voting overseas ballot and was unable to vote.  I asked my sister not to vote, as our votes would have cancelled each other out, thus having the same effect as if I had voted, but she refused to indulge me.

Can't wait to be back in America.  Let the countdown begin...24(ish) days!!!

4 comments:

  1. As always, thanks for the update! We, too, are counting the days till your return to the USA! Keep on working (for you) and blogging (for us). I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Buenas Dias Janeio, I love your idea of asking Mary not to vote, as the two of you would cancel each others vote!! Great thinking!!! But you know, if one doesn't vote, one can't complain! So Mary has reserved her right to complain! LOVE YOU HEAPS AND HEAPS!! Gma & Gpa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris and I cancel each other out, as well, so I don't remind him about voting. He's a grown man. It's his own responsibility.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jane,

    Beautiful stories from a BEAUTIFUL girl! I love reading all your very entertaining stories... (wasn't there a line similar to that in Joseph? Joseph's brothers ruminating on missing their brother's "entertaining dreams" as they "starved" in Cana? Hurry back to Wisconsin, Jane, and we'll promise not to throw you in a pit!

    Love ya!

    Dad

    ReplyDelete