Wednesday, September 15, 2010

I swear, I'm smarter in English...and my jokes are actually funny!

My intensive Spanish for Business class is going well.  Antonio, mi professor, is quite a character.  We only are allowed to speak in English if we speak with a British accent.  Apparently, we all "speak English perfectly, with perfect American accents."  I was not about to "refudiate" his point!  Also, when we make mistakes he loves to declare (in English, with his very own British accent): "I want an anthrax sandwich."  Driving people to eat anthrax might be a new low in my life.  At the same time, holding enough grip over someone to make them eat an anthrax sandwich is powerful stuff...Leader of the free world in my future?  Probably only if it speaks English...

Reason #261 (and counting) why I fail at Spanish: Apparently, on the first day when I met my host family, I told them that my mother has a rare disease--I was trying to say that she used to be a nurse. I figured this out tonight at dinner when my senora asked me how much time my mother has left to live. oooops!!!!


ENFERMERA vs. ENFERMADAD...I could have sworn I used the right one.  (Regardless, both hold some validity: "My mother is a nurse" vs. "My mother is a disease.")... 

Hopefully, Senora y Marga will still be nice to me even though my mother is not currently in the process of dying from a rare condition.

Un beso!

3 comments:

  1. I am alive and well...plan to live at least another 50 years! So what else have you been telling the Spanish people? Any idea?

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was in Chile in the Peace Corps, a friend, wanting a glass of water, asked a waitress for un beso.

    I told the owner of the bakery by my office that I was from Texas. He didn't know where that was. The place with all the huesos, I told him. Instead of huaso, which is Chilean slang for cowboy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha thanks Annette, that makes me feel better...en serio, cuando me senora me dijo esto, estaba reinendo. I really thought I said it correctly, but obviously not. voy a vistar cadiz manana con toda la gente en mi programa!

    ReplyDelete